| ... | 4
Contracted enlisted personnel and non-commissioned officers shall live in hostels situated in the territory of military objects. As concerns contracted servicemen having families, the GS AF RF concept envisages that they shall be granted housing financed by the Armed Forces, while the IET concept sets forth that only servicemen with children or dependents shall be paid in order to rent housing.
Specific features of the IET variant.
1. It shall be noted that the transition to the contract military service is fully correspond to the RF Constitution and the existing legislative base. The IET concept in a natural way integrates two types of military service relating to the discharge of the Constitutional duty (Article 59 of the RF Constitution) to defend the Fatherland.
for the majority of citizens there is the draft, which in the nearest future will be transformed in a short term military service, in the process of which the citizen shall take the oath of enlistment and have the primary military training to be prepared for further voluntary military service and combat action in the case of a large scale war;
for the citizens who due to their beliefs or religion can not agree to serve in the Armed Forces or take arms there is the alternative civilian service. At the same time, these citizens performing public works shall simultaneously gain experience of non-combat assistance to combatants defending their Fatherland in the cases of aggression or terrorist acts. The spheres most suitable for the alternative civilian service may include health care, sanitary and ecological activities, fire protection, liquidation of the consequences of natural and technological catastrophes, certain types of construction works, etc.
2. For the citizens of military age liable to military service, the servicemen drafted after the completion of the transition to the contract based recruitment into training military units for military training and education, and their family members the advantages may be formulated as follows:
a shorter term of military service by conscription (6 months in stead of 2 years);
a shorter term of military service (3 months in stead of 2 years) for the persons who got training in the Russian defense sports and technical organization (RDSTO) in the case of the presentation of a document certifying that such a person has completed the respective military training and was positively attested in the course of service – training;
predominantly territorial principle of recruitment to training military units and the possibility to meet family members;
the persons serving and training in military units are of the same draft;
absence of senior servicemen and therefore the phenomenon of “bullying” on the part of “old timers” (harassment of recruits);
training of draftees by the specially selected and trained commandeers and instructors.
3. The privates and non-commissioned officers serving under contracts may expect:
a considerable rise in money allowances. Further, it is planned to pay such bonuses, which would guarantee the competitiveness of the military organization as an employer on the labor market;
accommodation of all servicemen in hostels, housing financed by the military, or provision of compensations for the rent of housing for their family members (only in the case the serviceman has children or dependents);
opening of savings account for purchase of housing for private use for permanent residence after the discharge from the military service of servicemen having served more than 10 years;
preferential terms of entering higher education establishments after the expiration of the contract term and demobilization.
4. Officers, and Army and Navy non-commissioned officers are guaranteed that:
their money allowances paid in the period of reform shall be annually increased to be in the future at the level of salaries of public federal officials of the respective rank and category;
additional money bonuses in the case they command enlisted personnel and non-commissioned officers of the RF Armed Forces and serve in military units where all personnel is serving under contracts;
additional money bonuses in the case they belong to the permanent personnel of training military units;
their subordinates volunteering to serve further after graduation from the training in military units will be better trained and have a complex of incentives for professional discharge of their military duty.
5. The merits of the recommended system of recruitment for civilian employers are as follows:
the term of conscription will be decreased 4 times, so the labor market will expand;
after the completion of the military service (training), persons will acquire socially useful special knowledge and professional skills.
6. After the transition to the recruitment of the RF Armed Forces with enlisted personnel and noncommissioned officers on the contractual basis, in the regular forces it will become normal that servicemen of different ages serve and perform combat missions together, including the situation where commanders are younger than their subordinates. As the war experience demonstrates, such practice is also necessary at the time of mobilization deployment and regrouping of troops at the time of war and permits to avoid many problems relating to non-typical age differences between commanders and their subordinates.
The variant of transformation of the system of recruitment to the RF military organization proposed by IET permits not only to eliminate many negative phenomena of the present crisis situation of the military organization, but also create prerequisites for the improvement of combat capabilities of the Army and the Navy, ensure the national defense capability and maintain the international security.
On the whole, the transition to the new system of recruitment recommended by IET shall bring in the future not only military, social, and economic, but also economic advantages. The merits of the concept promoted by IET, which ensures professionalism of regular military forces and at the same time training of military reserves, practically excluding such a phenomenon as harassment of recruits (at a very reasonable cost) seem to be quite obvious for the majority of RF citizens and will be supported by them. However, there exist rather influential forces, which actively protest against any increase in military expenditures, even for reasonable reforms, lobbying for the interests of various categories of recipients of budgetary funds.
E. Ya. Lyuboshits, E. Yu. Khrustalev, V. I. Tsymbal
| ... | 4